How Marijuana Use Can Increase Your Risk for an Alcohol Overdose
- A new study found that when people use alcohol and drugs together, their risk for an alcohol overdose increases.
- The study looked at 660 patients who had experienced alcohol poisoning, passing out, or blacking out events, and found only 20 percent had been using alcohol alone.
- The most common drug used in combination with alcohol users who experienced an alcohol overdose was marijuana.
- When used in combination with alcohol, several drugs have the power to increase alcohol intake beyond what a person would normally consume.
- This combination can also cause overdose symptoms to be more severe than they would with alcohol alone